Cloud Panel Prototype | Early Beta
So I’ve spent a lot of time working with the 1&1 Cloud Server API, and have started to put it into production by trying to build my own Cloud Panel. For quite a while I was building it as a WordPress Plugin, which is still a goal, but even better, I was thinking of a stand alone product and service: A Brandable CloudPanel.
Why your own Cloud Panel?
In the end, it should be able to allow service providers and DIY resellers, to allow their customers access to a Cloud Panel, using the company’s 1&1 account, but provide Access Control in house. Currently the 1&1 Cloud Panel doesn’t take into account ownership when they create users. Each Cloud Panel user can see servers of other users which is bad for a business. 1&1 Cloud Panel is also already branded, by 1and1.com themselves.
So far, not much functionality is built in, though the API is in place and running great. I’m using a simple free Template, ugly JS-PHP bridging, and doesn’t allow for any manipulation of the VMs (that’ll come later after the Beta). Currently you only login via your API Token, I recommend creating a new user with no creation abilities to just test the function. Until the final product and source code is available (planned, not guaranteed as I weigh pros/cons), I wouldn’t ask anyone to trust putting a Admin level API into anything they personally trust. I’ll win that trust with upcoming releases! Until then, you can use my guest
Can I try?
API: e1e32b2d4abd65521aec8d06de3c240e (guest role on my account)
What’s to come?
- User Management for the Application and linkage to API Users
- Each user on the application will be linked to an API User
- Objects (VMs, Images, etc) created by a User will be hidden by other users by default
- Groups will be created to share amongst users
- SSH Console / RDP client integration
- There are many free 3rd party libraries that allow HTML5 clients to do such tasks.
- This is the closest we can get to the KVM until they give some sort of access to it.
- Emulate all functions of the Cloud Panel
- Allow custom branding to be done
- I want more than just “change Logo”, but for now, it’s just a few select themes and the Logo is planned.
Let me know in the comments what you’d like to see most.